Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes
I must apologize for my blogging absence for the past month or so, I (no pun intended) had a lot on my plate. But as of two days ago, I officially finished my undergrad and am the proud owner of a Bachelor of Journalism degree! It has been a tough four years, and no amount of homemade cupcakes or cookies could take that pain away, but I'm so happy I stuck with it, and made some great friends and learned a lot about myself along the way. And so, while there is no occasion I don't like to eat cupcakes for, a cupcake with sprinkles seems particularly celebratory to me. I found this recipe on the blog Whipped Baking, and followed it pretty much to the letter. For this recipe, you'll need:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup rice or soy or almond milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup assorted coloured sprinkles
1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, vanilla and vinegar.
3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture until just combined. Do not over mix. Gently fold in the sprinkles.
4. Fill cupcake liners about two-thirds full with batter. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting. Makes approximately 12 cupcakes.
I frosted these cupcakes with a traditional vanilla buttercream.
I love that this cake isn't super sweet (they bake up a lot like muffins), so coupled with a really sugary buttercream icing it creates a great balance in flavours. The sprinkles melted into the cupcake are so much fun, they remind me of being a kid eating Lucky Charms on a very rare occasion, and getting excited when I found the colourful marshmallows in the bowl. This recipe was really simple to make, it was less than an hour in total from prep to a bake cupcake. Plus, they are just so darn cute.
What are your favourite vegan cupcake recipes?